Thursday, June 28, 2012

A day out of my comfort zone!

"As we are blessed to be a blessing, we should touch the lives of others and we should spend ourselves on behalf of others. Be ready to step out right now. God will show you the way. Just go. Spend yourself, risk it. When God calls you to something and you are uncomfortable with it, run to it. God will meet you there!” - Jon Egan (Worship Leader, The Desperation Band, New Life Church)

Since last year, i've been preaching about what it means to "SHINE FORTH and to LIGHT UP THE WORLD" to the youths! It's easier said then done. But I can now truly testify of a sharing by Jon Egan that convicted me deeply last year.

I'm someone who is not very good with the elderly and do not have the same burdens compared to serving the youths. Partly because of the language barrier where I can't really communicate with many of them, and the age difference. But today, God taught me something new. I decided to challenged myself to get out of my comfort zone and trust in His leading. So I decided to participate in an event partnering with Wesley Befrienders Outreach Programme when the opportunity came. They were helping out with the Elderly from St.Luke's at Botanic Garden's this morning.

After I responded to this event, I actually had some fears about participating in it. I was praying the night before that I can be of some use to Him. I knew I was struggling to even speak basic mandarin and I was trying to learn and recap some basic Chinese conversational starters from others. I was also praying fervently for God to give me His compassion for His people. And you know God has His interesting ways of answering your prayers. He somehow divinely placed those who spoke English around me at the botanic gardens and during lunch! I was surprise myself that I could even hold an hour conversation with one of them under the shelter of botanics gardens as it rained! Looking back, just having simple conversations with them, walking them around and hearing their stories has truly blessed me more than what I think I've "blessed" them. I guess this is what it means when. "When God calls you to something and you are uncomfortable with it, run to it. God will meet you there!”  


At botanic gardens with a few Ymers partnering with Wesley BOP with the elderly from St.Lukes's 









Lunch with the Eldery 


No comments: