Monday, September 24, 2012

Unity in Diversity! :)

Decided to write a diffrerent kind of note today compared to all my previous notes. This time to create some awareness for us to continue to embrace this Multi-Religious & Racial Nation which I would personally say is definitely Uniquely Singapore. After having this wonderful privilege today to interact & hear opinions from various races, religions & organisations at this MCYS Pre-Seminar Discussion (Youth Segment) where we discussed in groups about Inter Racial and Religious matters (IRCC). I'm actually very encouraged at where our nation is heading in this area.

As I was reflecting after the forum, one of the greatest strengths which I see in our nation that is uniquely Singapore where you can hardly see in other countries is that we are definitely a religious & racial harmonious nation. If not for the many efforts our Nation has advocate to promote this multi-racial society in schools, I won't have got to know so many of my good old friends today whom are Malays, Indians & Eurasian. We may be different in race or religion, but what bring us together is our common growing up days in the same school and we are all Singaporeans. :)

And if I go back in time, in my primary sch, secondary & tertiary days, I've got the privileged to make many good friends who were from the 4 main racial groups in Singapore, which I still try to keep in touch with. Still remember the good old days when this group of close friends of mine use to visit my house after school, and my mom commented once, how we were like some multi-racial group of friends. There was a Malay, an Indian, a Eurasian, and Chinese all coming together (See 4E6 class reunion below), where we use to like play "block-catching" or soccer around my house which is just opposite our school. Even my own school soccer team St.Gabriel's (See photos below), are probably the only team in the Singapore which has such a unique diversity of Malays, Chinese, Indians & Eurasians all playing together in the same team! And this is very evident when we meet different opponents throughout the inter-school tournament, somehow because of our inter-racial diversity, our team stand out in this unique way, besides being a good soccer team too. :)

Some of the new friends I made today :), this is not my discussion group though. But got to talk to them after the forum. 
IRCC forum

A picture of my St.gabriel's Pri 5 & 6 soccer team in 2001. We had a good mix of  Chinese, an Indian, 2 Malays and 2 eurasians in this team alone. As we played & trained together to win the 7-aside South Zone championship
A picture of my St.Gabriels Sec Sch Soccer team (2003), South Zone Champion, where we had 2 Nepalese, 4 Indians, 4 Malays, 2 Eurasians & 8 chinese all in the same soccer team. This is probably the most inter-racial school soccer team in Singapore I ever known! :)

A picture of my St.Gabriels Sec Sch Soccer team (2004), where we had a nepalese, Indians, Malays, Chinese, Eurasian all in the same team again, If you recognize some of them are top soccer players in Singapore today, playing at the national level and clubs.
A picture of my TP Interior Architecture Design Course mates, these were some of my close group of friends which I use to hang out with and they were mainly 3 Malays & 1 other Chinese.
One of my Interior Architecture Design project group mates! Had fun times with this group! 4 Chinese & 2 Malays :)
One my recent St.Gabriel's Class Reunions... the Eurasian who was my Primary school best friends cldn't make it for this gathering if not we can have all 4 racial groups represented here. :)


(A video which I came across about this MCYS IRCC)

No comments: