Sunday, July 05, 2009

Sharing at AGAPE CUP!, Running! Tchoukball! Soccer!

Its been one busy week playing a lot of sports from running,to exercises to tchoukball(ALOT of it), to Soccer every singleday!! But before that would like to share what i shared before our soccer AGAPE CUP match today!

AGAPE CUP – 5 July 2009

Testimony Sharing- Ben Lau

I’m honored to be given this opportunity to be sharing something really close to my heart to you all today! I’m not here to preach a sermon, but to just share a short story of my life!

I’m just like all of you all here! Soccer is one of my greatest passions, been exposed to this sport ever since my primary school days!

A short background of my life first, I was born in a Christian family, but I would say I was not really a true Christian in my first 16 years of my life, I would actually call myself a “Sunday Christian” . I was just this shy quiet boy whose life everyday than was really just about soccer! Looking back at my secondary school days, I’m really grateful of being given the chance to play for my school which is known for its good soccer record, even had the privileged to train with some of Singapore brightest stars than; many of them are now active in the Singapore soccer scene. And when I actually looked back at my secondary school life 4 years ago, God actually place a particular soccer coach that inspired us all, I still remember vividly before a key school B division national match up when he shared to us a challenging time in his life, and how God saw him through it. He then shared with us the importance of winning in the ‘game’ of life and not just the game of soccer. And somehow what he said actually sipped into my mind in a very subtle way.

At the end of my sec 4 year, I went for a youth camp in my church where for the first time in my entire life, I actually had an experience with God! And that change my entire life totally! And I really mean totally! From that shy quiet boy, I suddenly gain the confidence in Christ! And looking back, I would NEVER EVER imagine myself than having the courage to share all this right now! Even in my perspective of how I lead my life now! Now I realised that it’s so true of what my coach said to us than! That there’s more to life than just winning every game in soccer! It’s actually knowing that God is the centre of my life, and I want to give my best for Him in everything I do! Be it in study, NS (which I’m going in next week) or in soccer!

And you know, recently I came across this article on this Famous player Kaka! I’m sure all of you have heard of him right?

For those who don’t know, Kaka was born in the Brazilian capital Brasilia on April 22, 1982, he once shared this…

“When I was young, I dreamt of becoming a professional player for Sao Paolo and to play a match with the national team. But the Bible tells us that life gives you more than what you ask for and that’s what has happened to me.”

What happened was… In October 2000, at the age of 18, Kaka suffered an accident that was a milestone in his faith. Coming down a water slide, he hit his head at the bottom of the pool and fractured the spine in his neck. He risked being paralyzed and bedridden, unable to play soccer any more.

This was a career-threatening accident. But his injury healed and the worst did not happen. He was able to return to soccer. Kaka believes that it was God in His grace who saved him from paralysis and allowed him to play soccer again. In his thankfulness for God’s grace, Kaka raises his arms to the sky whenever he scores a goal. And whenever he plays a match, he always wears his T-shirt “I belong to God” under his team shirt. He also tithes a part of his income to his church.

And now a key member of the Brazilian national soccer team, and recently moving to Real Madrid for a World Record Signing of €59 Million pounds from AC milan, Kaka is famous throughout the world.

Kaka is the poster boy of today’s soccer throughout the world. His imaginative soccer play and deep Christian faith is making an impact on millions of young men and women. But Kaka always remembers God. “I don’t win alone,” he said last December. “I want to thank God for all the victories and achievements I had this year as a player.”

To end off, I just want to say that ever since I came to know Christ there’s this inner joy in me that I can’t describe in words, that missing thing in my heart was filled by Christ Love for me! And it’s so great in my life that I just want to take an opportunity like this to share this Love with you all.

Like what my soccer coach once said…”it’s about the importance of winning in the ‘game’ of life and not just the game of soccer.” Thank You! =)


(That's my coach who shared his inspiring story to us during the national rounds.. we won the B'div South Zone title that year!)

Monday
Had a nice run at macritchie!... did those exercise circuit in between & after! And wow sure had a nice time reflecting a lot in those time of solitude!

Caught up with some crusade mates!

Tuesday
Tchoukball at Kovan CC at night!

Caught up with st.gabs mates!

Weds
Tchoukball training session with wesley ym at Fort Canning!

( Wesley Ym Tchoukball training session@Fort Canning)


Thurs
Precept classes...

Friday
The Tchoukball friendly matches between Wesley Ym & YDC for both the boy's and girls!

TcTch


(the guys match up! we lost 19-40... but i think we did pretty well for the first time playing together & going thru like 1 training only against a slightly more experience team)



(Videos of the girls match!-The wesley ym girls actually did quite well, even though they were playing together for the first time with some only going thru 1 training session! And at one end of the court for a moment they were up against 3 of the top national girl players and they even scored a couple goals past them! GOOD JOB team! =)
Saturday

(Training at Kovan CC in the morning)

Rush to Marcus wedding@ Church! met up with aysgls and than met up with ethel,jem,wenhao!...

Sunday
Last bible session with GEL for quite a while before i enlist! also the last crosstrainer comm session with them, and also possibly my last agape cup match for wesley! And finally got my first goal in this agape cup match,was pretty surprise that the ball went in when i just tried a long range shot from the right flank!

7 more days till my hair is gone! This last week sure is going to be so busy, alot of unfinished buisness & catching up before my hair is gone! =)

No comments: