Sunday, October 31, 2010

Don't miss that Opportunity

Was reading the below devotion this morning, and it sure reminded me how important it is to take every opportunity we got to share and talk abt Christ to the people we meet each day, if not one day we might regret it if we miss that divine chance to prepare one for eternity...

EVERYDAY WITH JESUS- SELWYN HUGHES

Ready and Alert

13Who is going to harm you if you are eager to do good? 14But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. "Do not fear what they fearb]">[b]; do not be frightened."c]">[c] 15But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, 16keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. 17It is better, if it is God's will, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil. 1 Peter 3:15-17

George Barna, a Christian researcher, says that seven out of ten Christians who share their faith with others come away feeling they have failed. Fear of failure is one of the chief reasons why people fail to share their faith. When we fear something we avoid it. Unless we have a disciplined approach to sharing our faith with others it simply will not get done.

In my youth I was encouraged to share Christ with someone every day, and to be alert to every opportunity. At the age of eighteen I was drafted into the mines to do a two-year period of national service. The mining industry was more in need of help than the Armed forces so I found myself, much against my will, working in a coal mine, One morning, deep underground, I turned to the young man next to me and though I did not feel in an evangelistic mood asked him if he had ever thought seriously about where he would spend eternity. He said he hadn’t, and that led to an interesting few minutes at the end of which he accepted Christ. This conversation took place during an official break, of course; it would be wrong to evangelize when paid to do something else. An hour later this young man lay dead- killed by a large stone that fell from the roof and literally flattened him. Were it not for disciplined sharing I might have missed the opportunity to prepare him for eternity. Honesty compels me to admit, however, that over the years I have missed more opportunities than I have taken.

No comments: